Forums/Community/Feature Requests

PlannedDoneNot planned

Offline content

Joe Slack
suggested this on November 15, 2011 11:49 AM

Sometimes during travel (on airplanes in particular), internet connectivity is not always accessable.  It would be nice to have an option to view some of the content offline for those situations.  Most online video rental services have a feature where you download the video file, then you have 24 hours to view it as many times as you want from the time you started playing it.  After that time the video expires and you have to re-rent it.  It would be nice to have a feature like that where you can download some nuggets for offline viewing then re-sync the license once you get to an active internet connection. Until that time, to be able to have a time peroid to view the offline content would be helpful.

Comments

User photo
Rick Gorman
Product Development

This is a great use case, Joe. Thanks for sharing. Customers have been asking for this feature for some time now, so we've decided to begin working on this capability. The current idea is to allow a viewer to "check out" a license for a day or two or three, download content locally, then view that content while away from an internet connection.

November 29, 2011 04:42 PM
User photo
Joe Slack

Very cool, thanks Rick!

January 11, 2012 08:47 AM
User photo
Stephen Mew

Any timeline as to when you think this feature may become available? This is exactly what I'm looking for as well.

March 05, 2012 03:37 PM
User photo
Rick Gorman
Product Development

Hi Stephen,

We currently have a team tasked with providing offline access to content. Presently, there is not yet a planned release date. If you'd like to have first-crack at it, hop on over to the beta tester forum and sign up. As this feature gets closer to release, we'll be pushing it out to our beta team for consideration.

Cheers,
-Rick

March 05, 2012 04:52 PM
User photo
Mark Bakunas

This is a feature I'd use a LOT.  I'm on a plane 10 hours each week with unreliable (if any) Internet access.  To be able to check out videos for viewing on the plane would be a most welcome feature.

March 20, 2012 03:03 PM
User photo
Ray Causey

I'm a new customer and was looking for just this feature. Would absolutly love to able to download a class to my ipad while I'm out traveling.

March 22, 2012 11:24 AM
User photo
Ashok Gurung

i am also a new customer and was looking for the feature. i do fair bit of commuting to my work so this would help me to utilize my time best. Please put me on beta testing list as well.

Thank you

March 24, 2012 04:19 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Ashok,

You have been added to our list.  You will receive an email when there is testing we need to have done.  Thanks!

March 26, 2012 04:57 PM
User photo
Richard Dormer

Hi, could I also be added to the list and receive an email when this is available. This would fit my requirements exactly, thanks guys.

May 03, 2012 01:28 AM
User photo
CJ Doyle

Offline viewing would be HIGHLY USEful! Any update as to when this will be available?

June 14, 2012 10:44 PM
User photo
Rick Gorman
Product Development

@Richard: Thank you for the patience. Consider yourself on the beta list.

@CJ: Glad to hear the enthusiasm! We don't have an expected date as of yet. The alpha player has started making its rounds and it's looking great thus far. We can get you on the beta list if you're interested; just ask.

June 21, 2012 02:25 PM
User photo
Grady Hickman

Hi Rick,

I would enjoy the opportunity to help Beta test the offline player. I work in a secure lab most of the time, so there’s no internet. It would be great to knock out a couple nuggets during the day.

July 08, 2012 10:39 AM
User photo
CJ Doyle

G'day Rick, I would like to be included in the Beta tests, I use a tablet that is quit often out of WiFi range.

July 08, 2012 06:15 PM
User photo
Rick Gorman
Product Development

@Grady and CJ: Welcome to the team! Jake will get in touch with you with some questions. Thanks for the interest!

July 09, 2012 04:49 PM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Nikola,

Welcome to the team.  You will receive a welcome email shortly.  Thanks for the interest!

July 17, 2012 10:04 AM
User photo
ECML ECML

Ooh, this would also be handy for me - any chance I could be added?

August 02, 2012 10:28 AM
User photo
michael hodgson

Hi Jake

This would be perfect for what I need. Is it possible for me to join this beta?

Thanks

August 28, 2012 04:31 AM
User photo
Kevin James

Hi Jake

I would like to be a tester for this please!!

September 24, 2012 07:16 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Hi Kevin,

You're in! Welcome to the Club and thanks for your interest! I have sent you a contact email asking a bit of info from you.  Please respond to that email and we will go from there!

Regards,

September 24, 2012 12:49 PM
User photo
Stuart Russell

Hi,

Would be a very useful feature for me and would help to maximise the benefit of CBT Nugget training.  I would like to join the testing program please,

Regards 

October 20, 2012 03:00 PM
User photo
Tim Moat

Hi there,

I've just stumbled across this thread having had a ticket open with your service desk on this very issue.

I would love the chance to beta this during my commute. I spend 2 hours + on the train each day and the iPhone app keeps skipping back to the start some 6 minutes in when streaming and once we go underground on the tube its game over anyway.

Thanks, Tim

October 23, 2012 09:26 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Stuart and Tim,

I have added both of you to our mailing list for Beta testers.  You will receive an email asking you for some system details.  Thanks for your interest!

Regards,

Jake

October 23, 2012 12:48 PM
User photo
Rodrigo Sanchez-Pizani

Hey, this is a must  for me. I can't really watch the videos in my office or at home but I spent 2.4 hours a day on a train with an intermittent signal and I can really do something more productive with my time that reading the newspaper, so offline videos would do me nicely. Can I please be part of your test user group? Ta.

Regards,

Rodrigo.

October 24, 2012 09:30 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Rodrigo,

I have added you to the Beta tester list.  You will receive an email shortly asking for some system info.  Thanks for your interest!

Regards,

Jake

October 24, 2012 02:43 PM
User photo
Dave Kennedy

This would be great for me too.  I spend a lot of time at my sons soccer practices and more recently football practice.  It's gets pretty boring sitting for 2 hours a crack and having access to offline content would be ideal.

October 26, 2012 10:17 AM
User photo
Glen Taylor

This would be very helpful for me as well.  I travel a lot and it would be great to have content while in the air.

Thanks

October 26, 2012 03:24 PM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Dave and Glen,

I have added you to the list.  You will receive an email asking you for details about your environment and such.  Thanks for the interest!  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jake

October 29, 2012 03:00 PM
User photo
Brad Pazoureck

Any chance of being added to the beta group on this?

Brad

October 30, 2012 02:42 PM
User photo
Matt Ellis

Jake,

I would like to join the beta testers group I commute multiple hours everyday on mass transit and would really like to use that time effectivly.  Please let me know what I need to do to join the testers

Thank you,

Matt

October 31, 2012 10:37 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Brad and Matt,

I have sent you an email about the Beta tester Group.  Please reply to that and we will go from there.

Regards,

Jake

November 05, 2012 11:19 AM
User photo
Szymon Sawulski

Hi 

Guys 

It's great to hear that you are working on offline access , I'm traveling every week  around the world and it would be brilliant to have possibility to watch your videos on the plane. 

I know that there are ripped videos floating around the net and I'm wondering would you consider using them as piracy while holding the licence for particular series ? 

I'm totally against piracy so I would be happy to help you guys with  beta testing this new feature (if you still have some places left ;) )

Best regards

Szymon

November 12, 2012 06:56 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Szymon,

Given that any files that are out there for Download, would most likely be a Single User license product, It would be piracy to use them even if you have a current Streaming Subscription.  It is strictly against our licensing policy.  If you do know of where they are being hosted, you can tell us by emailing piracy@cbtnuggets.com

I will see to getting you into the Beta program.  You will receive an email asking you for some system and network environment information.

Regards,

Jake

November 13, 2012 12:22 PM
User photo
Ernest Okumoto

Hi Jake,

Please add me to the Beta Tester Group.

Thank you,

Ernest

November 18, 2012 07:01 PM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Ernest,

I have added you to the list.  You should receive an email shortly asking about some equipment and environment info.  Please reply to that.  Welcome to the Beta Testers group!

Regards,

Jake

November 19, 2012 10:58 AM
User photo
Denny Trujillo

Hi Jake, can I also be part of this beta? I would make heavy use of this feature!

Thanks!

Denny

November 21, 2012 04:25 PM
User photo
Ronald Kendrick

Any way I could jump in on this beta? I'd like to see if the playback is smoother with faster play speeds.

December 03, 2012 10:02 AM
User photo
Ernest Okumoto

Hi Jake,

How do I access the beta offline program?

Thanks

December 03, 2012 10:37 AM
User photo
Szymon Sawulski

Jake same here is the offline beta already available for testing if so how we can access it 

Thanks

Szymon

December 10, 2012 02:21 AM
User photo
Paul Swanson

I would like to be part of this group as well, our office disables streaming video and I cant use my subscription a majority of the day.

December 17, 2012 08:07 PM
User photo
Anthony Chan

Hi! I would like to be a member of this group too! Viewing streaming content offline is much more convenient for me!

Thanks,

Anthony

December 26, 2012 06:52 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Hello,

Denney, Ronald, Ernest, Szymon, Paul, and Anthony.  I have added you all to the Beta Testers Mailing List.  At this time we are just building a list of interested individuals.  The Offline Content is still in Development.  It is a Hot topic!  We will send out an email and instructions when there is a testable item out.  Thank you for your interest in helping us make a better training experience!

Regards,

Jake

December 31, 2012 11:35 AM
User photo
Stephen Martyak

I would like to become a beta tester for your offline content as most of my down time is when I'm traveling and rarely have connectivity.

January 13, 2013 05:57 AM
User photo
David Petroski

Jake,

I would like to be part of the Beta testers as I travel quite often and WiFi access on the plane is horrible for video.

I hope you guys can make this happen! 

Thanks

January 27, 2013 09:54 PM
User photo
Ed Willson

I also would like to be able to have some kind of offline access. At work we have a 9M pipe for 600 people. So If I could DL some content for the day that would be very welcome. 

February 02, 2013 09:35 PM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

David and Ed,

I have added you to our Beta testers list.  When there is testing ready we will send out an email with instructions.  Thank you for wanting to help us make a better experience! 

Regards,

Jake

February 11, 2013 10:29 AM
User photo
David Black

I to would enjoy joing the beta testing on this as it ould be very handy when Im at work since i do not have access to the internet

February 13, 2013 06:51 PM
User photo
Michael Adams

me tpp

February 14, 2013 07:47 PM
User photo
Guy Gregory

Hi, please could you also add me to the beta testing list?

Thanks!

February 18, 2013 02:41 PM
User photo
Byron Middleton

Can I get added to Beta Testing as well 

February 28, 2013 07:23 AM
User photo
Snd Lt

I'll hope on beta-testing as well.

March 02, 2013 03:08 PM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Hello,

David, Michael, Guy, Byron, and Hoyoon, you have all been added to our Beta testers email list.  We will send out an email when there is testing needed and it will outline what and how to do it.  Thanks for your interest in making our training and service better!

March 04, 2013 01:57 PM
User photo
Ben Hopper

Hi Jake,

Im also interested in this feature, can I be added to the beta list?

Thanks!

March 05, 2013 02:43 AM
User photo
Paul Mathanarajah

I will be interested in this feature too please

March 05, 2013 01:53 PM
User photo
Anthony Sanders
I will be interested in this feature.
March 09, 2013 11:34 AM
User photo
Anthony Sanders
I would love to be considered for the beta testing.
March 09, 2013 11:35 AM
User photo
Kevin Chambers

Please add me to the beta test group also.   

March 11, 2013 06:06 AM
User photo
John Dryden

Me too please. I have 50 engineers who are all crying out for this feature

March 12, 2013 02:52 AM
User photo
Dean Wiseman

Hi,

I currently subscribe to a very popular site for programmers / developers that offer offline viewing of their content. You add the content to the offline viewing queue and it will stay in the queue for a few weeks until it expires, once it expires it is automatically deleted. Being that I can't stream content while at work due to strict protocols in place to control unnecessary use of bandwidth, queuing up videos on my iPad or Android tablet has been a godsend, and not only for a work, but when travelling as well, which I seem to do a lot of.
There has been a few courses on CBT Nuggets that I've been interested in but the main reason I didn't subscribe was for this very reason, you don't offer a means to queue up offline video.

I was just searching to see if you offered this yet and came across this thread. I'm so glad that you are now putting this in place.

Please let me know when you get this in place and I'll will sign up for a subscription that very day

March 14, 2013 06:09 AM
User photo
Dave Lamb

I want this feature too!  I have a long commute on a train through some very poor cell coverage areas.  Its very hard to stay focused and follow a complex technical concept when the video keeps stalling.  Please Please Please add this feature soon!

Thank you!

March 14, 2013 08:09 AM
User photo
Ben Hassen

I would love to be able to download the material to watch it via my HTPC throughout my house.

March 15, 2013 06:44 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Hello All,

I have added Ben Hopper, Paul, Anthony, Kevin, and John to the Beta tester Group.  Thanks for your interest in helping us make a better product! 

Dean, Dave, and Ben Hassen, please let me know if you would also like to be added.  

We are working on this feature as quickly as possible.   Thanks for showing your interest and support of CBT Nuggets!  You guys are great!

Regards,

Jake

March 20, 2013 11:10 AM
User photo
Dean Wiseman

Hi Jake,

Sure, I'd love to be part of the testing of this new feature.

Dean

March 20, 2013 12:26 PM
User photo
Ben Hassen

I would also like to be part of the testing. Thanks

March 21, 2013 05:26 AM
User photo
Dhananjay Chornencar

Is this still on testing or is it finally done. If its still testing I would like to be a part of this as well. Thanks :)

March 22, 2013 08:06 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Dean, Ben, and Dhananjay,

Thanks for your interest.  The Beta testers group is for all Beta testing needs we have for our site.  I have added all three of you.  We will send out an email when we have a testing need.

Regards,

Jake

March 22, 2013 02:34 PM
User photo
Stephen Brittain
Hi Jake, I am very interested in the offline feature. Can you add me to the beta testers? How is the progress on this project? Thanks, Stephen
April 01, 2013 08:35 AM
User photo
Sujith Zacharia

Hi Jake,

Please add me to the beta testers.

Thanks

Sujith

April 04, 2013 02:13 PM
User photo
Ken Elling
Please add me to the beta testers also. This feature would help me due to travel.
April 06, 2013 08:37 PM
User photo
Andrew McCrae

Hi Jake,

Please add me to the beta list. I have only just signed up and this is one of the key features I was hoping to use.

Thanks,

Drew

April 08, 2013 04:32 AM
User photo
Grant Harknett

Hi Jake - Could I sign up to the beta testing group please?

April 09, 2013 04:05 AM
User photo
Luc Geurts

Please add me to beta as I really need this feature. Flying half of the week and would like to be able to seethe vids offline.

April 15, 2013 01:52 AM
User photo
Joe Sayah

Hello,

Honestly this feature will be great when in plan or with limited access to the internet you can use them in offline mode,

I'm not sure why it's not allowed eventhough there is an option to download videos.

Thanks,

JOe

April 15, 2013 07:04 AM
User photo
Khaldoun Ward

This is an important feature to use with our tablets; I have my 3G data plan is been drained drastically because of streaming functionality. I appreciate an offline solution soon.

Thanks,

K

April 15, 2013 07:33 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Stephen, Sujith, Ken, Andrew, Grant, Luc, Joe, and Khaldoun,

I have added you all to the Beta testers list.  We will send out an email when there is Testing to be done.  Thank you very much for your interest in making our products better for everyone!

The Offline Viewing option is still in Development and we don't have a set release date for testing.  We will definitely be sending out an email to you guys when that time comes!

Cheers!

Jake

April 15, 2013 09:38 AM
User photo
Alain Bertrand

I'd love to see offline happen. Please add me too.

Thanks!

April 15, 2013 02:09 PM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Alain,

Thanks for the interest!  I have added you as well.  As I mentioned before, we will send an email when there is testing to be done.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jake

April 15, 2013 02:54 PM
User photo
Jason Ritenour

I'd really go for this too.  I've attempted to watch nuggets on my Galaxy S3 while on the treadmill at the gym, but there's no 4G coverage in that area, and I find that over 3G, there's way too much pausing and buffering.  In a perfect world, there'd be wifi nearby, but that's not always the case.  

April 16, 2013 01:50 PM
User photo
Peter Smith

If possible, I would also like to be included in any testing.  I have recently subscribed to CBT Nuggets and enjoy the videos, however my biggest opportunity to watch them in on the train traveling to work.  Having the videos downloadable would mean that I definitely keep up my subscription and be able to recommend them to others at work.  I understand the fear that people could abuse this and distribute the videos illegally but company's such as the BBC can offer time-limited DRM'd downloadable options and are available on both Mobile and Desktop devices.

Many thanks,

Peter

April 21, 2013 10:08 PM
User photo
Dave Lamb

One other thing I'd like to add to this, when using the Android App, often how much of a video i've watched isn't correctly uploaded to the site.  So if you look at a nugget, that I've watched in it's entirety, it sometimes only shows up as having watched 60% of it.  The problem with this, is that my company uses how much training we do as a performance metric.  They look at the hours watched on my account.  Since I have the most time during the train ride of my commute, being able to watch offline and then having accurate metrics uploaded is very important to me.

May 03, 2013 08:32 AM
User photo
Ike Rodriguez

Please add me to the beta testers also. This feature would help me due to travel as well.

May 05, 2013 07:36 PM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Jason, Peter, Dave, and Ike.   I have added the four of you to the Beta tester list.  Thank you for your interest in our products and helping us make better training solutions for you!  When there is testing needed we will send out a message with details about the testing.  Once again, thanks for the interest and have a great day!

Regards,

Jake

May 06, 2013 10:10 AM
User photo
Danny Henriquez

Offline would be a tremendous help! I plan on using both Android and IOS. Please add me to the beta. Thanks!

May 06, 2013 08:59 PM
User photo
Aliosja Bloeme
Please add me to the beta test list
May 07, 2013 11:12 AM
User photo
Paul Atkins

Ooops... My work has a subscription and I have been watching some video whilst I am on the train each day, through my works mobile phone.  I have just been told that I have exceeded the monthly download limit by three times. :-(     I am not too popular!
Is it possible to be added to your beta test list to test out the Offline content? 

May 15, 2013 12:24 AM
User photo
IT Training Administrator

Please can you add me to your list as my team would like the offline content.  Any rough timescales would be great though as I can see this thread has been running for sometime

Many thanks

Adam

May 15, 2013 03:22 AM
User photo
Duncan Cook

Please can I add myself to this list, be great if the offline content was available via an App for the iPad. Saves getting a laptop out and booting up etc

May 15, 2013 09:46 PM
User photo
Lee Harrison

Hi, just signed up and travel a lot and so offline content would be extremely useful. Please may I join the Beta test?

May 17, 2013 05:28 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Hello Danny, Aliosja, Paul, Adam, Duncam, and Lee.

I have added all of you to the Beta testers list!  Thank you for your interest in making our products better for everyone!  We will send out an email when there is a need for testing.  Once again, thank you and Have a great day!

Regards,

Jake

May 17, 2013 12:28 PM
User photo
Atilla Tarhan

Hi, may I join to the beta test? Best Regards.

May 21, 2013 07:04 AM
User photo
Ula Kacprzak

I know from Pete that CBT Nuggets offers a possibility to download videos for $499 per series - would you please kindly advise on how that works exactly for the pool of concurrent licenses we already purchased? Thanks!

May 22, 2013 07:14 AM
User photo
Luc Geurts

All I see is: we add you. When do I see: we have the beta ready, join in testing..... ?

May 22, 2013 07:18 AM
User photo
Kevin Symonds

May I join to the beta test? Regards

May 22, 2013 07:54 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Atilla and Kevin,

We have added you both to the Beta testers list.  Thanks for your interest in helping us make a better product for everyone!  When we have testing to do we will send out an email to all of the testers and give directions on testing.  Once again, thanks and have a great day!

May 22, 2013 08:51 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Ula,

The EDM product or Electronically Downloaded Media, is a Single user product.  It will not work with any other licensing and is only useable for the person that it is ordered for.  You can contact a training adviser or support on a chat or call in for more information.

Regards,

Jake

May 22, 2013 08:57 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Luc,

The Beta testing group is used only when we have testing to be done.  We have been working on the Offline checkout functionality for some time now.  When we do have a version that needs testing in the outside world we will send an email with details out.  We do not have a set time frame for that currently. Thank you for your Patience!

Regards,

Jake

May 22, 2013 08:59 AM
User photo
Clayton Gooding

Hello

Could I please also be added to the Bata Tester group for when testing opportunities are available?

Thanks

May 30, 2013 06:43 AM
User photo
Michael Gossett

Kind of confused as to how this is a "feature" you guys used to offer an archive of your entire collection for business use and then discontinued selling it. You also used to sell physical copies of each training or bundles of trainings for people to purchase and discontinued that. I realize piracy is on the rise but switching to this new DRM system is not the solution. As long as something is viewable on your PC there will always be ways to copy videos.

June 06, 2013 12:12 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Michael,

Thank you for your feedback. Over the years, we have made changes. We do feel we can best serve our customers by focusing on our streaming subscription service. But we hear you--offline access is a very popular request. We're working on it, and hope to have it available in the near future. For businesses, we do offer our Nugget Archive Server as an option. We're also happy to help you with your account personally! You can contact us at support@cbtnuggets.com

Have a great day!

Regards,

Jake

June 06, 2013 05:31 PM
User photo
Peter Cozens

I spend a lot of time working off of a mobile tether and the ability to download videos when I do have WiFi for offline viewing later on would be really beneficial (not to mention save me a lot of mobey on my mobile phone bill!). If you're still looking for Beta testers for an offline player I'd be more than happy to volunteer

Cheers,

Pete

June 10, 2013 08:34 AM
User photo
Jake Rolfe
CBT Nuggets

Peter,

I have added you to the Beta testers list.  Thank you for your interest in helping us make a better product.  When we have a need for testing, we will send out an email to the group with instructions.  Once again, thanks for your interest and have a great day.

Regards,

Jake

June 10, 2013 10:58 AM