- Adjusting video player settings
- Toggling Autoplay
- Turning quiz notifications on or off
- Enabling Closed Captions
- Controlling playback speed
- Adjusting streaming quality
- Casting video to another screen
- Switching between Condensed and Theater Layout
- Popping the player out to a separate window
- Switching to full screen
- Video player keyboard shortcuts
- How settings are saved
- Content streaming sources
- Troubleshooting tips
- Supported Platforms
Adjusting video player settings
In the video player, you can adjust the playback speed, streaming quality, volume levels, quiz pop-ups, window size, autoplay, and closed captions
The video player setting tools are located just below the video player, in the lower right-hand corner.
Several settings can be toggled on and off. If a switch is yellow, that specific setting is ON. If a switch is gray, that setting is OFF.
Switch Autoplay off to prevent automatic progression to the next video in your training session. Enabling Autoplay will automatically move you to the next video in a series after your current video has completed.
Turning quiz notifications on or off
Quizzes are accessible in the video player. If you want to turn quiz notifications on or off during video play, click on the gear icon and switch off the Quiz Questions option.
Note: If this icon is missing, your team administrator has required quiz notifications for your team. You’ll be notified when a question appears in the video, and if you choose to answer it, the video will pause until you resume.
Enabling Closed Captions
Closed captions can be enabled with a switch in the video player. English captions are available on CBT Nuggets videos. To enable Closed Captions, click on the gear icon and toggle on the Closed Captions option. Captions can also be activated by pressing ‘c’ on your keyboard.
Controlling playback speed
Video speed can be adjusted from the player settings by selecting the gear icon and choosing your preferred speed. Lower speeds can be helpful when working through virtual labs or following along with more challenging materials. Higher speeds can be helpful when reviewing more familiar content.
Adjusting streaming quality
The player offers multiple quality options ranging from 180p to 720p. By default, the player will be set to AUTO and will automatically choose the optimal stream based on your internet connection.
Casting video to another screen
Click the Cast to TV button to send your video to a supported Chromecast connected device on your local network. This is a great way to train on a larger screen and use your desktop or laptop screen space for notes, quizzes, and labs.
Switching between Condensed and Theater Layout
Quickly switch between Condensed and Theater Layout by clicking on the Layout button in the lower right-hand corner of the video player.
- Theater Layout - Video player covers the full width of the panel, moving the Videos/Comments/Transcripts column below the video player.
- Condensed Layout -Video player covers ⅔ of the panel, with the Videos/Comments/Transcripts column taking up the left ⅓ of the screen.
The ‘t’ hotkey on your keyboard will switch between these modes.
Popping the player out to a separate window
The Pop-out Player icon in the lower right-hand corner of the player will give you the pop-out option. Once the player is popped out, you can use the player setting tools to adjust playback speed, quiz question notifications, and closed captions.
Note: Safari now blocks pop-ups by default. To allow pop-ups in Safari please go to Safari>Preferences>Security and uncheck "Block pop-up windows"
Switching to full screen
The last icon in the video player allows you to view training videos in full screen. Select this option to maximize the video. The player tools will hide automatically and can be accessed by moving your cursor toward the bottom of the video window. Click the Full Screen button again or press esc on your keyboard to exit the full screen view.
Video player keyboard shortcuts
The CBT Nuggets video player allows for multiple keyboard shortcuts, enabling quick video scrubbing and personalization.
- T - Adjust video size (condensed, theater mode)
- P - Pop-out video
- F - Full screen
- J OR left arrow - Jump back 10 seconds
- K OR spacebar - Play/pause
- L OR right arrow - Jump ahead 10 seconds
- C - Closed Captions on/off
- M - Mute
- V - Volume up
- Numbers 1-9 - Jump to 10-90% mark within the video
- 0 - Re-start video at beginning
- Home - Jump to beginning of current video
- End - Jump to end of current video
Note: keyboard shortcuts are not case sensitive.
How settings are saved
If you’re working on the same devices, you can “set it and forget it.” The player saves settings for volume, closed captioning, speed, quiz prompts, autoplay, and streaming quality. The settings are saved via the browser and device, so if you move to another device or switch browsers the settings won’t be saved.
If you switch accounts but use the same device and browser, the settings most recently used on that browser will be the defaults.
Content streaming sources
Our content streams over HTTPS / port 443 from these two domains:
Some organizations may need to update their firewall/proxy server/web-filtering rules to allow learners uninterrupted access to training.
If you are having trouble with video playback, here are some things to try:
- Adjust the Quality. Switch to any setting other than Auto to find the setting that works best for your connection. Lower quality will require less bandwidth and may have better results on public/weaker networks.
- Log in Again. Log out of the site and log back in.
- Restart. Restart your computer or device.
- Test another Browser. Try accessing the videos using another browser on your device and/or another device if available. This will help to determine the scope of the issue and where to focus further troubleshooting.
- Clear Browser’s Cache. Clearing the cache will reset saved local settings for the site, and can be helpful if you are running into issues with the video player. If you're unsure how to reset your browser’s cache, here's a helpful guide: Refresh your Cache.
Please refer to our System requirements article for detailed information about supported platforms.