Video Player

We've updated our video player to give learners the best, and most convenient, way to access our Nuggets. Here are the answers to some common questions about the new player:

What can I adjust in the player? You can adjust the speed of playback. You can also select the streaming quality, control the volume, control quiz pop-ups and choose to see closed captions. 

How do I adjust my options? The menu bar is at the bottom of the video player in most cases; sometimes it’s on top when you’re viewing on mobile. You may have to move your cursor over the video player to make the menu bar appear. On the right of the menu bar you’ll see icons for all the control options. To change a selection, select the icon. If there are multiple options, a menu will appear.

Where is speed control? Speed control has moved inside the player. It’s the icon between closed captioning and streaming quality, as seen here: 

The displayed length of each video will adjust based on the speed you select. For example, if you are watching a video that’s 24 minutes long at 2.0 speed, the total length of the video will display as 12 minutes.

What are my options for streaming quality? The player has six options, from 180p to 720p. You can also select “auto” and the player will automatically choose the optimal stream based on your internet connection. Please note, not all streaming options are available on every browser.

How do I turn quiz notifications on or off? Quizzes are always accessible in the video player. If you want to turn on or off notifications that will alert you to quiz questions during video play, click on the question mark icon in the bottom right, in the video player menu. If this icon is missing, your team administrator has required notifications for the team. You’ll be notified when a question appears in the video, and if you choose to answer it, the video will pause until you resume.

Will the player save my settings? Yes, if you’re working on the same devices, you can “set it and forget it.” The player saves settings for volume, closed captioning, speed, and streaming quality. The settings are saved via the browser and device, so if you move to another device or switch browsers the settings won’t be saved. If you switch accounts, but use the same device and browser, the settings most recently used on that browser will be the defaults.

Will the the new player make trainers’ jokes funnier? No... you can’t improve on perfection.

How do I get the player to pop-out? The video-size icon at the far right of the menu will give you the pop-out option. 

Once the player is popped out, you can toggle auto-play on and off from the upper right corner. When you finish a video, the pop-out player auto-plays the next video for three videos before checking to see if you are still watching.

If you’re unable to access any of the features:  Users may encounter alternate functions depending on the browser or device they use, including:

1. Android doesn’t support the “auto” selection for speed.

2. IE8 doesn’t support any speed settings other than “auto.” In IE8-10 the full screen control does not appear in the menu bar; it’s an icon that’s overlaid on the top left of the video.

3. Volume control is not a function with mobile devices. Use the volume controls on your device.

4. “Autostart” doesn’t work on iOS and Android, you will have to press “play” on those devices to start the video.

5. iPhones and iPads, when they are in full screen mode, will not let you access the menu bar. For iPads, exit full screen to access the menu bar to make selections. For iPhones, exit full screen and pause to access the menu bar.

Where is the content streaming from? Our content is streaming over port 80 from these 2 domains:

cbtnuggets-vh.akamaihd.net

cbtnuggets-a.akamaihd.net

Some organizations may need to update their firewall/proxy server/web-filtering rules to give  their users uninterrupted access to training.

Troubleshooting Tips

If you’re having trouble with video playback, try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Log out of the site and log back in
  2. Reboot
  3. Try accessing the videos using another browser on your machine and/or another machine if available. This will help to determine the scope of the issue and where to focus further troubleshooting.
  4. If issues are specific to one browser, clear that browser's cache and cookies, log-out, then log back in.

5. Adjust the video quality, often if one video does not play and others do play that means that our "Auto" quality setting may not be fully detecting your configuration, in that instance manually adjusting the video quality slider to the lowest available setting will allow a video to play.  If you are not satisfied with the quality of the video when it plays then repeat the process progressing up through the list of settings until you find the setting that works best for your connection. 

If your audio works, but video doesn’t, try the following steps:

1. Refresh the page in your browser.

2. Click a bit ahead on the progress bar below the video player window, or try another playback speed.

3. Select the gear quality icon beside the speed control to the right of the progress bar below the video player window and set it to anything except Auto.

If you are seeing a Green window rather than black and if you have already confirmed the Flash player is up to date, right-click in the video window,  select 'settings' and disable hardware acceleration. If you click on 'settings' and it doesn't bring up the little screen with the checkbox, go to YouTube and try the same thing using one of the videos there. You’ll need to close and reopen the browser for the setting to take effect.

Have more questions? Submit a request

31 Comments

Tom Mazowski

When in full-screen mode, you can not view the pause/play controls, or see the progress bar. That is annoying, since it is useful to check and see how much longer you have with a certain video.

Heather Jennings

Hi Tom, 

In the majority of browsers if you move the mouse over the player, the controls will be displayed.

It is possible that the player won't function this way in older versions of Internet Explorer. I've opened a support ticket for you so that we can look into this further. All you need to do is respond to the email you receive to get back to me. 

Thanks,

Heather

Billy Nix

With my mobile device, I used to be able to stream the nuggets to my Chromecast from the mobile webpage with the chrome browser. I can't do that anymore with the new player. I can see the Chromecast icon in the upper left corner of the player, but when clicked it just pauses the video and brings up the player menu. Ideally, Chromecast support in the app would help best.

Heather Jennings

Hi Billy, 

We are working to get Chromecast support in the video player within the next couple months. Chromecast support in our apps isn't currently on our roadmap, but I will absolutely forward your suggestion along to our mobile development team for future consideration. 

Thanks, 

Heather

Alex Humble

What about Google TV support? The app in the appstore was never compatible, but once upon a time I was able to launch chrome and login and watch that way. I tried it tonight and chrome was able to play audio, but no video. So I decided to try the app route, and installed the cbt nugget app using the apk file. It was slightly amusing navigating everything with my screen tilted, but I was still only able to listen and look at a black screen. I'm not sure what else to try, but a functioning app in the appstore for google TVs would be awesome. Then I can watch on the TV and take notes/experiment on my laptop. All from the comfort of my couch!

Heather Jennings

Hi Alex, 

We don't offer Google TV support at this time, but I have forwarded your request along to our development team for future consideration. 

Thanks, 

Heather

Krisztian Mitrik

As Tom mentioned above, IE11 gives you no progress bar or way to get out of full screen - apart from ESC - and mouse hover does nothing.

Unfortunately since the latest update to Flash Player, we can no longer make the video full screen in IE11. The video is just paused/unpaused as the full screen button is shown on the top right corner of the actual video. This is slightly annoying too - obscuring view to a portion of the screen when not in full screen.

I'm switching between Firefox and IE. FF gives full screen, but the auto quality keeps switching between levels. IE settles for the best quality but no longer can be made full screen. This is over reliable high speed fibre.

Heather Jennings

Hi Krisztian, 

I have tested in IE 11 with the most updated version of Flash Player, and am unable to reproduce what you are experiencing. I've opened a support ticket for you to gather more details. All that you have to do to get back to me is respond to the email you receive. 

Thanks, 

Heather 

Mark Cheetham

HI CBT

I cannot get the video player to run in Safari on OS X Yosemite. Is this a supported configuration?

Thanks

Mark

Heather Jennings

Hi Mark, 

We do support Safari on OS X Yosemite. 

I've opened a support ticket to get some more information so that we can get you up and running again. 

Thanks, 

Heather

Nathan Spady

Hello there!

I am unable to play any videos on Firefox.  I have done this on multiple computers and on Windows and Mac, but still no video.  Edge and IE seem to work fine.  I also had the same problem as Mark Cheetham above in being unable to play on Safari as well.  Just wanted to let you guys know what was going on out here.  Thanks for all you do!

Kahlil James Ganih

One video that I've just finished watching does not recognize that I've already done so.  Also, it does not picked up where I left off or sync properly with my CBTNuggets iPhone app.  How do I fix this?

Zev Horton

Hi,

The video player speed control doesn't work in the CBT Nuggets App for iOS on my iPad.  Is this a known bug that will be resolved soon or am I the only one with this issue?  Thanks!

Heather Jennings

Hi Zev, 

There isn't a known bug related to speed control in the iOS app. 

Jeremy is responding to your support ticket now to get this resolved! 

Heather

Jason Gibson

When using a mac, without flash installed, there is a blink, a very fast blip in  the video playback at regular intervals. When using Chrome (built in flash) it plays fine. It appears that there may be an issue with html5 playback?

Heather Jennings

Hi Jason, 

I've opened a support ticket for you to get some more information. Look for an email from support@cbtnuggets.com

Heather

Dominik Pyrka

No video, just audio on Windows Phone 8.1 + Internet Explorer. Can't enter full screen or fast forward/rewind videos either.

Heather Jennings

Hi Dominik, 

I've opened a support ticket for you. All you have to do is respond to the email you receive to get back to me. 

Thanks, 

Heather

Hitesh Patel

Hi, On my IPhone, the mobile app does not download offline videos. The play back of videos goes blank sometime if I pause and then play after the phone screen saver kicks in (pauses Automatically).  It is getting really annoying.  Also, there is lots of free space on my IPhone.   

Heather Jennings

Hi Hitesh, 

We have opened a support ticket for you to gather more information. Please respond to the email you receive to get back to us. 

Thanks, 

Heather

Phillip Price

I am having an issue with Cisco CCNP Security VPN v2.0 video number 2. ASA VPN Options. The player seems to have a hard time resolving the video from its time position that I am at.  I can start another video, stop it and start it from its saved position. I typically use Chrome, and I tested functionality in IE.  Both exhibit the same issue.  Thanks.

Heather Jennings

Hi Phillip, 

I've opened a support ticket for you so that we can investigate this further. You can get back to me by responding to that email. 

Thanks, 

Heather

J G

This player is freaking annoying.  I have limited bandwidth and video refuses to stream unless I leave it set to Auto.  Nor will it let me buffer the video and then play it.

Heather Jennings

Hi J G, 

I've opened a support ticket for you to get some more information. 

Talk to you soon! 

Heather

Vinay Rathee

Hi Team,

I am not able to play any video/audio. It just doesn't play anything. I am using Safari 9.1.1 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

Kindly help.

Vinay

Heather Jennings

Hi Vinay, 

I see that you're working with our team to get this resolved. If you have any further trouble or questions, just respond to that support ticket and we're happy to help!

Thanks, 

Heather 

Edited by Heather Jennings
    Dennis Legaspi

Is there a fix for video not playing on Safari V10 on OS X El Capitan? Please help.

Thanks!

Franc

Heather Jennings

Hi Franc, 

It looks like Zak may have been able to answer your question in chat before I was.

Like he said, our development team is working to get this resolved. In the meantime, please use Chrome or Firefox to view courses. 

I'll contact you once I have more information from our team. 

Thanks, 

Heather

Heather Jennings

Hey there,

If you are having trouble viewing in Safari, the steps below should resolve the issue. 

Check that Adobe Flash Player is installed. If it isn't, you can do so here.

Navigate to cbtnuggets.com
    Safari
    Preferences
    Security Tab
    Plug-in Settings
    Set Flash to allow cbtnuggets.com

Next, you'll want to ensure that your video quality is set to auto from the quality gear icon in the lower right corner of the player.

If you have any continued trouble, please contact us at support@cbtnuggets.com.

Thanks,

Heather

ankit mohanty

i am having a big problem. my internet connection gives 70 -90 kbps speed . suppose i am watching no. 3 video and i put no. 4 for buffering. when i  switch to 3 to 4 .  buffered video of 4  is  gone . it is refreshed again .start from the begining

Please sign in to leave a comment.